There’s nothing better than sitting down for a nice meal and sharing it with your pooch. But you’d be surprised at how many of your favorite foods and meals are actually highly toxic to your pets. These are the top 9 foods you need to keep away from your pet.
While you probably already knew that chocolate was bad for your dog, you probably don’t know why. The theobromine in chocolate isn’t harmful to humans, it is the part of chocolate that’s harmful to dogs. Theobromine exists in all chocolate, it’s especially potent in dark chocolate and baking chocolates.
However, we all know that dogs can and will still find a way to get into what they shouldn’t be getting in to. If your dog is vomiting, experiencing diarrhea, and overly thirsty then there’s a chance they may have consumed chocolate. Seek medical attention for your pet immediately.
It might seem funny to let your dog have a lap of your beer or cocktail but it’s actually a major health problem to your pet. Their liver is not equipped to process the alcohol enzymes in the same way ours are. Even just a small amount of alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous depression, problems with coordination, coma, difficulty breathing, and even death.
Keep an eye out especially for sangrias or any other fruity beverages that often mask the smell of alcohol. Additionally, don’t leave out any alcoholic beverages where your pet can sneak a sip. You wouldn’t give your toddler alcohol, so don’t give it to your pet.
Avocado toast anyone? Even though life would not be the same without quac or avocado on a burger, avocados are extremely dangerous for dogs. Avocados contain a compound called persin, which can be toxic to your dog. Persin in avocados can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and heart congestion. Not only can the actual fruit of the avocado be deadly to your pet, the pit, leaves, and even the bark of an avocado tree can pose a threat.
Be mindful of how you dispose of the fruit’s scraps. If you live in a warmer climate and have an avocado tree in your yard, keep a watchful eye on your pet when they’re outside.
Grapes and Raisins
It can be cute and funny to watch your pet play with a grape or figure out what to do with a raisin. But these foods are incredibly dangerous to the health of your pet’s kidneys. Vets aren’t 100% sure what exactly is in grapes and raisins that cause such harm to pets. However, what they do know is that it can cause deadly kidney failure within a matter of minutes.
Leave playtime to pet-friendly treats and toys.
Macadamia nuts are a healthy snack to munch on in between meals. Yet, like alcohol, grapes, and avocados, macadamia nuts can make your pooch sick. As few as 6 nuts can make your dog sick! Raw or roasted, keep these tasty nuts to yourself. If your pet accidentally gets their paws on them, immediately contact your vet. Poisoning symptoms can include muscle tremors, vomiting, and even paralysis. Symptoms may last 12-48 hours. Your vet should be able to help if you contact them ASAP.
Onions and Garlic
A good meal just simply isn’t complete without some onion and garlic. Even though these two can make or break a dish, they’re harmful to your pet. Obviously, you won’t be feeding your pet raw garlic or onion. However, any meals that contain garlic or onion can compromise your pet’s health. Garlic is 5x more toxic to dogs and can cause anemia in your pet. Keep your meals to yourself and if you want to make your pooch feel special at mealtimes, make them a pet-friendly meal to eat alongside you!
Not every dog is lactose intolerant but dairy can cause itchiness in pets. Giving your pet dairy like ice cream or cheese can cause itching, diarrhea, and other digestive issues that aren’t fun for you or for them. While it’s easy to give your pet a piece of cheese a treat, consider switching to something more digestive friendly.
Excessive salt isn’t good for you or your pet. Salt can cause extreme thirst in pets and depending on the time of year, could be harmful to your pet’s health. Giving your pet something as innocent as a potato chip or pretzel can cause harm. Eventually, excess salt can cause sodium poisoning and result in death. Keep the chips to yourself!
Healthy Pets, Happy Pets
If your pet is struggling to finish their food or seems to be losing interest during dinner time, consider replacing their current bowls with a Kleanbowl. Pets can taste and smell germs in their bowls, even if they’ve been freshly washed. You can shop Kleanbowl here. If you need more convincing, check out these real-life Kleanbowl challenges.